Saturday, December 10, 2005

Little Eric.... Washington State

My father was transferred to the Naval base at Bremerton, Washington in 1972. We live in base housing that consisted of a Duplex type house with a garage. Quaint but nice. My bedroom was on the lower level along with my brother. The house was set up when you entered the front door was the hallway to the living room. Off to the left was the enterance to the kitchen. Between the hall way and the kitchen was the steps leading downstairs. The living room was large and spacious with a deck off of the dining area. My mom and dad's bedroom was halfway down the hall between the front door and the living room. The lower level consisted of a laundry room, a basement area and a bedroom. There was also a door leading to the outside. In the basement area my dad put up a basketball net. He was able to do this because I wittle as said by Jenny. Ha ha.

The area of Bremerton where we lived was in the Jackson Park area along the Sound inlet. From the deck on the rear of the house you could see Mt. Rainer.. it was very cool. Across the sound from Bremerton is Seattle. Every so often we would go there via a ferry. The thought of driving a car on a boat to get across the Sound is strange to me now.

Our neighbors to the left were the Nelson's. They had two daughters, Andrea and Wendy. We played with them most of the time when we first moved in. The duplex in which we lived was smack dab in the middle of the block. Behind the apartments were a playground with a series of picnic tables and a shelter for gatherings. The neighborhood sat on a hill with houses above and below us with trails leading from one block to the other.

I rememeber my mom telling me that we could not go any farther to play than each of the houses besides ours. Limiting us to anywhere in front of the house to all the way to the bay. I remember playing by the water alot. I remember catching crabs...(Not the type Jenny has given out, just a sling back for the C.S. remarks she seems to enjoy calling me) and keeping them in coffee cans to play with later. One time we caught a whole shitload only to have my brother and little Wendy from next door, smash them with thier steel wheeled rollerskates.

This was the time we actually got a pet. A long legged Beagle we called Rusty. Rusty was a great dog. He would go every where with us. When he got out on his own he was a roamer, so we tended to keep him inside when we weren't playing with him. He did get out one time and was missing for a couple of weeks. Story had it there was a guy that would roam neighborhoods looking for dogs and steal them. He was caught and our dog was returned to us.

Since we lived on the west coast. It was easier for my uncles and aunts to visit from Portland, Oregon. My Uncle Darrell and Aunt Juree would visit often which was nice for my mother. The time we were in Wash., The family would gather at our place for Christmas.

I started school in 1972 at Jackson Park elementary. My kindergarten teacher's name was Mrs. Wartman. She was a young teacher, from what I remember. School is kinda sketchy... I remember certain things but not alot. The next year, in 1st grade, my teacher was Mrs. Kissinger. She was your garden variety teacher with the cat eyed glasses and the grey hair. I did a look up earlier this year in the Kitsap Journal for anybody I remember from there and her name came up. She died in 2001 at 88.

The highlight for the week was Saturday morning cartoons. We didn't have the 24 crap cartoons like kids have today. We had 5 TV channels to choose from. Get up at 6 and watch Bugs Bunny and Road Runner for two hours. At 8 was Super Friends... at 8:30 was SchoolHouse Rock and Fat Albert. 9:00 saw Sigmond and the SeaMonsters and at 9:30 was Shazam. Then it was outside to play.

Everybody thinks that it rains constantly in the Seattle area. It rained sometimes but most of the time it was sunny. 1972 brought us a new car. A 1972 Cheverolet Concourse Station Wagon, red with black interior. My dad paid $2500 dollars for it new. We watched them take it off of the delivery truck. We had that car until 1989. Of course it was my first beater car.

My mother was a volunteer at the community center in Building 30. Building 30 was where everything happened if you were a kid. Every weekend they would show a movie. I saw "Willy Wonka" there for the first time... Way cool. Halloween haunted houses. My brother and I were Batman and Robin. My mother made the costumes. Looking back now they were fucking cool. I'll post pictures when I can dig them out. TV back then, the cool shows were "Emergency" and "The Six Million Dollar Man". I didn't miss any of them. I remember going to a car show in Seattle with my parents and meeting the actors who played Jonny and Roy. I nearly shat myself with excitment. The Bat Mobile was there too.

Before school we watched JP Patches Fun Show. He was a clown that hosted a kiddie show every morning like Captain 11 in Sioux Falls. He was weird and kinda scared me but I watched. Well I've rambled enough in this segment so I'll let you go. More later on Washington.

Eric

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home